Today, Somerton Methodist Church in West Street serves the whole community. Everyone is welcome to become part of the Church family
where we support and encourage each other in our daily lives to grow and develop in the Christian way of life.
Somerton is one of
28 Churches making up the Somerset Mendip Circuit, within the Bristol District.
The Minister is Rev. Ken Chalmers based
at Castle Cary.
SUNDAYS: The main Service is at 10.30am preceded by informal singing. Each month one of these services includes Holy
Communion when everyone, of whatever age, is welcome at the Lord's Table. Coffee is served at the close of every morning worship.
Some occasional Informal evening services take place at 6.00pm. We meet regularly for joint worship with the United Reformed Church.
PRAYER CIRCLE: A group of people creates a circle of love and prayer for anyone in the local community with a special need.
monthly newsletter is distributed on the first Sunday of every month.
WOMEN'S FELLOWSHIP: Meets alternate Wednesday afternoons at
RAINBOW RASCALS: Parents and toddlers group - meets on Thursday mornings 9.15am - 11.45am.
FOCUS - Bible Study: Times announced
CTIS - Churches Together in Somerton is a very active group of six denominations working together in their Christian Life.
Joint worship is held every 5th Sunday evening of the month at 6.30pm, at different venues. The Methodists and United Reformed
Church also have a joint worship on every worship plan.
A SHORT HISTORY
Whilst no mention can be found of either of the Wesleys ever visiting Somerton, we know that John was in the area
on several occasions - in 1754 he was at Charlton and on another visit he climbed the Tor at Glastonbury.
In 1761 Thomas Connock was
born in West Camel and it was Thomas who was appointed a class leader of the Wesleyan Methodist Society by none other than Rev. John
Wesley himself - a post he held faithfully for more than 50 years. With Thomas Connock, Methodism came to Somerton; as recorded in
his obituary in the Western Gazette of June 1834 "For 29 years he was a local preacher of the Wesleyan Society, having been the first
to establish the cause in that town." He is buried in St. Michael's churchyard.
Early meetings are believed to have been in private
houses but, from 1814 onwards mention is made of the first Wesleyan Chapel, in a carpenter's yard off West Street. Most likely this
would have been a rented room administered by a body of Trustees. In 1813/14 Somerton was transferred from the South Petherton Circuit
into the Glastonbury Circuit.
In 1845 the property known as 'The Nags Head' (local legend has that it was a Public House), was purchased
for £230 for the purpose of building a Church on the site. The date on the front of the completed building is 1845 and evidently refers
to the laying of the foundation stone. Family names such as Barnard, Masters, Talbot, Weech, Vile, Pittard, Haines and Feltham are
among those who formed the first Trust.
In 1905 the Glastonbury Circuit was joined by the Castle Cary Circuit to form the Mid Somerset
Mission. Further changes occurred in 1932 when the three main Methodist Churches united - this brought together the Wesleyan Mid Somerset
Mission, the Glastonbury Primitive Methodist Circuit and the Somerton United Methodist Circuit and the new unit was called THE SOMERSET
MISSION. A circuit plan of those days lists 33 Chapels administered by a Superintendent Minister stationed at Glastonbury. Methodism
in the area has survived two world wars and all the trauma that went with them. In Somerton today, besides descendants of the earliest
Methodist families, there are still members who were evacuees in the 40s, and they have been joined by many newcomers to the enlarged
town of post war days.