The Sunday School room is used by the local Playgroup, which operates four mornings a week.
Members of the congregation volunteer on a rota system to undertake various duties within the Church, ie. Reception at morning service, readers, vestry prayer, flowers and chapel cleaning. This has proved to be a very successful arrangement encouraging members to be involved and feel part of the Church. The Church runs a House Group, which meets monthly. The meetings are open to anyone who may wish to attend. Speakers are invited to speak on various topical issues and three evenings during the year Coffee Evenings are held to raise money for the National Children’s Home and Crisis & Christian Aid.
Pilton Methodists have built up strong links with the members of the Anglican Parish Church and are part of a team called Pilton Churches Working Together. Each team comprises of the Superintendent Minister and 4/5 members of the congregation and the Vicar and 4/5 members of the Church congregation. The team arranges United Services, which are held on the 3rd Sunday of the month in the Methodist Church and Parish Church alternately. Each November the Church and the Chapel combine to hold a Christmas Bazaar in the Village Hall.
A United Village Candlelit Carol Service is held in the Chapel each year. This is a very popular service and is always well supported by the local community. Members of the congregation take part in the annual NCH house-to-house collection in October.
The fellowship in Pilton Methodist Church is very strong. Two members have been recently widowed. An older member (96 years) is unable to attend church regularly and another member is in a residential home. These friends have all experienced the love and fellowship of the church.
Methodism at Pilton dates back to 1794 with the present building opening in 1849; with the 150th Anniversary celebrated 23 May 1999.
The name Pilton means settlement on the stream or lake. According to a Charter of 705 Pilton was in the possession of Glastonbury Abbey. By Doomsday, Pilton had grown into a sizeable community of 330 persons. The main activity in the Parish has always been farming, although from the mid- seventeenth century until the early 19th Century the village took part in the cloth making industry. The 14th Century Abbey Barn is the largest of the Glastonbury Abbey Barns. At one time there were two Chapels in Pilton. The Ebenezer Chapel, which was originally a Bible Christian Chapel situated on Benleigh Road, was closed about 35 years ago. Pilton Village School was closed at roughly the same time and the children go by bus to West Pennard School, about 3 miles away.
The Glastonbury Festival is held at Pilton and the founder of the event is a member of our congregation