somerset_mendip_circuit020006.jpg
top
Castle Cary (4)
Next Church
somerset_mendip_circuit021004.jpg
Church Index
somerset_mendip_circuit021003.jpg
Site Map and Index
somerset_mendip_circuit021002.jpg
Previous Page
somerset_mendip_circuit021001.jpg
somerset_mendip_circuit008002.jpg
1784    John Wesley visited Cary, the first of 5 visits.
1785    Adherents secured a preaching house with stable.
1789    Castle Cary Society of Methodists part of Shepton Mallet circuit.
1850    Castle Cary head of separate circuit.
1905    Amalgamation with Glastonbury circuit to form Mid-Somerset Mission - which still exists.
1839    Present church opened (free of debt by 1877).  Lofty Georgian building, consisting of church and gallery, with  a  large schoolroom beneath.  Initially variously used for teaching of juveniles, a day school, a Temperance meeting of the foundation of the Good Templer's Lodge.
1874    High pews and old fashioned pulpit removed and replaced by modern style pews (today's) Central chandelier replaced by gas brackets (gas had come to Cary in 1853).
1875    First organ purchased.
1889    Chapel renovation.   Preacher's vestry erected (cost 125.12.2d)
1895    Present organ erected; 28 additional seatings added.
1897    Manse, Wesley Villa, built in Ansford Road (now an old people's home, as is previous manse The Hollies in Florida Street).  1,200 for land, legal fees, building and furnishing.
1898    Chapel roof repaired.  Interior decorated and beautified.  A new board floor was put in the schoolroom at a cost of 70.
1914    Organ removed from gallery to new organ chamber at the back of the pulpit.  New choir  stalls fitted.   2 new vestries built and hot water heating apparatus installed.  New windows     installed of cathedral tinted glass.  Extra lavatory provided.  Gas lighting brought up to date. Rev. Luke Wiseman, ex President of Conference preached at re-opening.
1950's & 1960's    Removal of front pillared portico (unsafe).  Change to electric under-pew heating in church and gas heaters in schoolroom.  Major refurbishment and decoration in church.  Choir pews removed and accommodation for choir made at side front.  Pulpit removed to opposite side front, leaving larger communion and preaching area.
1970's    Installation of built-in kitchen in schoolroom.
1989     150 years celebration.
1990's   Installation of stannah lift from schoolroom to church.  Restoration of graveyard and garden.
1980's   Onward schoolroom increasingly used for 'outside activities'.
 
The inherited Grade II listed building provides us with a good centre to focus our worship and belong to a warm fellowship.
somerset_mendip_circuit014001.jpg